Hey now, you're an All-Star...

Well it's that time of year again. All-Star weekend. The greatest time of year for any baseball fan...NOT! In fact, the All-Star game is pretty boring and pointless. Not as bad as the NBA All-Star game or the Pro Bowl, but still pretty boring. Being a baseball fan, however, I have to watch it. Perhaps the biggest reason to watch is the fact that my boy Nelson Cruz made the team. I watched Nelson play for the RedHawks last year and win the Pacific Coast League MVP. He's an outstanding player who quickly became one of my favorites in the league. So tonight I'll head over to my dad's for chili dogs and beer while wearing my Red Sox jersey and Rangers hat (and maybe a Diamondbacks t-shirt to support Haren and Upton).

I don't know if you saw it last night, but Nelson Cruz was also in the Home Run Derby. The commentators made their predictions before it started, picking Fielder, Howard, and Pujols, but I had a good feeling about Cruz. So did Bob Ryan. There's a good Boston boy for ya. I was recording the Derby via DVR because Tracie was on her way over and I knew she wasn't going to want to watch. Lucky for me, Cruz batted first and I got to watch him before she got here. I was a little nervous when his first two hits didn't make it close to the wall, but then he hit the next two out of the park. He ended up hitting 11 in the first round. I was pretty excited. Tracie showed up, so I turned the tv off. I went back to watch the end of it later last night only to find out that the recording shut off after a half hour and only got Cruz's first round, nobody else. I'm furious. Later, I found out that Cruz went to the final round and lost to Prince Fielder 6-5. I would've loved to see that, but the stupid DVR malfunctioned. Maybe I should call Cox and ask for a discount on my next bill.

Here is the interesting part about the All-Star Game. It may not be really exciting to watch today, but it will be really fun to watch 20 years from now on MLB Network. For the last week MLB Network has been showing old All-Star Games. In fact, I'm watching the 1976 All-Star Game right now and my boy Yaz is batting as I write this. Fisk was catching. Fiedrich and Catfish Hunter have already pitched. Rod Carew is on Deck with George Brett in the hole. Johnny Bench and Bob Boone have caught for the NL. Joe Morgan was playing second. That's just to name a few. It's incredibly fun to watch. Last night I was watching the '95 All-Star game where Jeff Conine (Playing for the expansion Marlins) hit a solo Home Run in the top of the 8th to win the game. Conine was the only position player selected to the team in '94 to not play, then he wins the game in '95. Really cool. Earlier this week I watched the '81 and '94 All-Star games from the strike years and it was really interesting to hear the announcers talking about the strikes.

Speaking of announcers, the one common ground from these games is the fact that Tim McCarver was announcing just about all of them. So at least there was a little bit of familiarity. So I suggest you watch the game tonight and in 20 years you can look back at it and enjoy all the memories rushing back.

Comments

  1. nice piece. perhaps your best. agree with all you said. and the all-star game could be a lot better if they'd make just a few changes . . .

    forget the fan voting, although the mlb never will, because fan involvements proves to them that they have fans. but the fan voting is nothing more than a popularity contest - not one which rewards the best players. go back to the original method of letting the league managers select the best players.

    make the players play. too many say they have a sore fingernail and take the time off. with fan voting, that's really a slap in our faces. make them play. or, if they really are hurt and can't take the field, make a rule that a player must miss a total of six games, before, after, or split between before and after. that way if he doesn't play, he penalizes his team as well. that'll stop the hangnail disabilities.

    lastly, bring joe garagiola in to announce. not that there's much wrong with mccarver. in fact, he can be there too. but joe is absolutely the best. take someone who knows nothing about baseball, sit them down to watch three games with joe garagiola announcing, explaining the strategy involved before every pitch, every play, and you've turned them into an avid fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. Although Pedroia is skipping the game to be with his pregnant wife. I think that's ok if she's possibly going into labor, but if she's not do for another couple of weeks, then that's another story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment