Bryce Harper

Ok, I know it's been awhile since my first post, but I'm back and ready to go. It wasn't nearly as easy to come up with a topic the second time around. When I had time to sit down and write something, I didn't have anything to write about. And when I did finally think of something good to write about, I didn't have time to sit down and write it, then I would forget what I wanted to say and I had to just sit and wait for the next topic to pop into my head. Well that happened this morning. Before I get started, however, I want to point out a great underdog that you all should be rooting for...The Orlando Magic. As some of you may know, I picked them to win the Eastern Conferance back in December, and they did. So go root them on. Who likes the Lakers anyway?

This morning I read about this 16 year old baseball phenom named Bryce Harper. He was noted for hitting a 502 Ft. Home Run at Tropicana Field (Home of the Tampa Bay Rays) and had hit a 570 Ft. Home Run in the past. Most Big Leaguers can't hit a 500 Ft. Home Run, so it's pretty impressive. But it left a bad taste in my mouth. People are really trying to build the hype on this kid, but they fail to mention that he was using an aluminum bat, which can pretty much add 100 Ft. on to any hit baseball (That is not fact, just speculation). Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty impressive, just not as much as they're making it out to be.

Writers across the country are all over this guy. In fact, he is on the cover of the latest issue of Sports Illustrated (Holding a wooden bat seemingly trying to make people forget he uses a metal one) AT AGE 16!!! How can you know what he's capable of when he is facing mediocre talent at the high school level. I don't want to say they're exploiting him, but they are.

Some more impressive stats for Harper:
-He throws a 96 mph fastball. I don't care who you are, that's pretty incredible, especially for that age.
-He has scored six times on a past ball...FROM SECOND BASE! I'd like to see him in a foot race with Usain Bolt. Not saying Harper would win, but he'd probably do better than you'd think.
-He also plays catcher and can throw runners out from his knees. Another thing that you don't see a lot of big leaguers do.

So from what I've read, he sounds like an outstanding ballplayer, and I hope all the hype is true, and I can't wait to see him actually play. I just hope that someone keeps his ego in check before he becomes out of control. He's already showing signs of having ESP (Egotistical, Self-Centered Perception). First off, he wants to be a Yankee. You can already tell something is wrong with him from that alone. When asked what his goals were, he said he wanted to be in the Hall of Fame and known as the greatest player who ever lived. I can understand that, but he mentioned nothing about winning a World Series, which, to me, shows that he cares more about his individual stats than his team winning. And perhaps the worst of them all, he's hiring Scott Boras as his agent.

Now in case you don't know, I consider Scott Boras to be the third worse thing to ever happen to baseball. Right behind the Designated Hitter and Interleague Play and just ahead of lowering the pitchers mound to handicap Bob Gibson. Anyway, Bryce is a sophomore in high school, meaning he can't go into the MLB Draft until 2011, after he graduates. Or so we thought. Boras has just about convinced him to drop out of high school this summer and get his GED and go to a junior college next year. This would allow him to enter the 2010 MLB Draft and get a year's head start on his goals.

Now I don't know if I can blame the kid for this. He's 16 and as A-Rod would say "Stupid and Naive". I blame the parents. How can they possibly let him do this? What if he gets hurt next year and can't play baseball anymore. He's stuck without a high school diploma and he probably doesn't have the smarts to pass most college level classes. This hereby supports my idea that you should have to pass an I.Q. test before being allowed to procreate.

Comments

  1. You write really well, Scoot! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good points. particularly the three worst things that have happened to baseball. (i'd add the curt flood law suit in at number 2, but that's just me). but i fear you're also simply speculating when you state that bryce "probably doesn't have the smarts to pass most college . . . ". he may be really intelligent. but the lure of fame and fortune can overrule a tremendous amount of intelligence and common sence. hopefully either he or someone close to him will step up to the plate and keep his head heading in the right direction. like you, i look forward to seeing him become a professional. in proper fashion.

    good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cashing in while there's money to be made. Has signing a young, over hyped kid ever worked out for anyone besides the agent? MLS (that's Soccer Jer) has had a bad habit of over-hyping kids signing in their teens.

    Freddy Adu was supposed to be the American (though he immigrated from Ghana when he was very young) Pele...he signed a huge contract at 14 and....well, he never lived up to the hype over here. He's now playing for the team in Monaco (you know, that town where they have the F1 race.) and riding the pine most of the time...still, he's only 20 so...

    "Memo" Gonzalez signed with LA Galaxy at 16 and while on the roster for 4 years, played in maybe 10 games...didn't start a single one. Was cut, tried out with lower level teams here and in Mexico and never found a contract...he's now an assistant coach for a JC.

    Santino Quaranta--signed at 16--became addicted to painkillers and coke...traded a couple of times, waived...then figured his shit out and actually seems to be heading back in the right direction...but no where near who he could have been.

    Don't forget others like Todd Marijuana...errr Marinovic (ok, he didn't go pro early but...)

    There have also been a couple of tennis players who went pro too early.

    Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule but those (like the Williams sisters) usually have parents with them every step of the way to help them. so, I guess it comes down to the values and guidance their parents gave them as to whether or not they'll focus on their career or not. Honestly, let them be kids. If they enjoy it, great! They'll still enjoy it when they are 18. However, others (agents, parents etc) usually are just trying to cash in on their talent while they can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment